Paolo Duterte elated after whistleblower clears him of shabu smuggling
DAVAO CITY – Former Davao City vice mayor Paolo “Pulong” Duterte on Friday said he was elated after an official of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) cleared him of involvement in over P6.8-billion shabu smuggling.
Duterte also said this only proved that the accusations against him by opposition Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV were “all products of hallucinations, rumors and lies.”
In a statement, Duterte vowed to continue going after Trillanes and make him pay for maligning him, his family and his supporters.
“I have warned before that what Trillanes said about me should not be believed because he is an expert in and weaving rumors and unfounded stories,” Paolo said.
He said the supposed rumors affected his family, particularly his children.
Duterte called Trillanes, the government’s staunchest critic, a rumor-monger.
“Worse, he himself believes in his own rumors,” Duterte said.
The eldest son of President Rodrigo Duterte issued the statement after lawyer Lourdes
, Customs X-ray expert, maintained that Paolo or anyone from the First Family was not involved in the supposed multi-billion peso shabu (crystal meth) haul that slipped through the BOC.
She said former Customs intelligence officer Jimmy Guban would not have difficulty in finding importers if the magnetic lifters containing the illegal drugs were indeed owned by Duterte as the former Davao City vice mayor had many friends in the business.
Paolo, who last year resigned from his post following Trillanes’ allegations he was into drug smuggling, said he was happy “that the truth was slowly coming out.”
“Thank you for all those who stood for the truth and for what is right,” he said.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.