Detained Bong Revilla joins Senate race
Former Senator Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr. filed on Wednesday his certificate of candidacy (COC) as he eyes to reclaim a Senate seat in next year’s elections.
His wife Bacoor City Mayor Lani Mercado and son Jolo filed his COC at the Commission on Elections on his behalf.
Revilla is detained at the Philippine National Police Custodial Center in Camp Crame, Quezon City, over his alleged involvement in the P10-billion pork barrel scam.
Despite his detention, Revilla said he still wanted to help solve the country’s problems.
“Hindi nila maikukulong ang aking diwa at puso para sa bayan (They can’t imprison my soul and heart for the nation),” Revilla said in a statement read by Mercado in a press briefing.
Mercado added that Revilla might be out of the detention center of Camp Crame by December after the court has issued a ruling on his pending plunder case.
She also denied that her husband was involved in the multi-billion peso scam.
“The truth will come out. I believe justice will prevail,” she said.
She added that most witnesses against Revilla already backed out. She said the witnesses affirmed that the former senator had no involvement in the scam.
Mercado also denied that Revilla was the most guilty in the pork barrel mess, as former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and former Senator Jinggoy Estrada — who were also previously detained due to the controversy — have already been released.
She added that a “spark of love” of Revilla for the country remains in him despite his detention. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.