News Briefs: Oct. 17, 2018
Panelo warns vs scam using his name, face
Malacañang on Tuesday warned against a scam involving the use of presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo’s name in soliciting funds for calamity victims.
Panelo, also chief presidential legal counsel, warned people against being tricked into donating P100,000 to P200,000 for calamity victims.
“I’d like to warn the public,” Panelo said. “Always call me. Anyway, they know my numbers.”
Panelo said the con artists had been dropping his name to solicit donations for Typhoon “Ompong” victims and survivors of the war in Marawi City.
The con men use Facebook accounts in his name.
Panelo said the swindlers had already received amounts ranging from P100,000 to P200,000 deposited in their bank accounts.
He said he already reported the fraud to the National Bureau of Investigation last month and was thinking about asking Facebook’s help to remove the accounts bearing his name. —Julie M. Aurelio
Sandiganbayan: Graft evidence vs Abalos strong
The Sandiganbayan has denied the plea of former Commission on Elections Chair Benjamin Abalos to be allowed to challenge the Ombudsman’s evidence in his P1.71-million graft case.
In a four-page resolution dated Oct. 8, the court’s Sixth Division maintained that the prosecution’s evidence was strong enough and Abalos would have to present evidence to defend himself and avoid conviction.
The case involved the June 2003 purchase of two vehicles without public bidding. —Vince F. Nonato
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.