outbrain
Close  

News Briefs: Sept. 27, 2018

/ 05:00 AM September 27, 2018

Aquino no longer NFA administrator, says Palace

Malacañang made it clear on Wednesday that Jason Aquino had already resigned as National Food Authority (NFA) administrator following a report that he had attended a recent NFA Council meeting and even objected to new rice importations by the government.

ADVERTISEMENT

After rereading the transcript of President Rodrigo Duterte’s one-on-one interview with his chief legal counsel, Salvador Panelo, two weeks ago, presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that Aquino was no longer NFA administrator.

“The President did accept (Aquino’s) resignation,” Roque said in a radio program. He said he did not know why Aquino attended the NFA Council meeting.

FEATURED STORIES

The deputy administrator, Roque said, should take over until Aquino’s replacement, Army chief Lt. Gen. Rolando Bautista, begins in his new job. —Christine O. Avendaño

SC aspirant denies trying to curry favor with Mayor Sara Duterte

Court Administrator Jose Midas Marquez, who is seeking a seat in the Supreme Court, has denied lobbying for the withdrawal of the disbarment complaint against Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte in order to curry her favor.

It was revealed during the Judicial and Bar Council’s (JBC) public interviews on Wednesday that the daughter of President Rodrigo Duterte submitted an affidavit opposing Marquez’s candidacy.

The mayor accused Marquez of “talking to the petitioners and witnesses in the disbarment case filed against me, asking them to withdraw their complaint.”

She claimed that Marquez did so “hoping that I may take notice of him.”

Responding to questions by JBC member Toribio Ilao, Marquez said: “I did not have anything to do with this … The allegation that I talked to the complainants, to the witnesses, I did something, I maneuvered, I manipulated, actually, Your Honor, with all due respect, is not accurate.” —Vince F. Nonato

ADVERTISEMENT

CA OKs Kho appointment, Army general’s promotion

The Commission on Appointments (CA) on Wednesday approved the appointment of Antonio Kho as Commission on Elections (Comelec) commissioner and the promotion of Army officer Roy Devesa to the rank of major general.

Kho is a fraternity brother of President Rodrigo Duterte.

There was no opposition to Kho’s confirmation during a hearing of the CA panel on Wednesday.

He told lawmakers that the Comelec was working with Congress to include funds for the plebiscite for the Bangsamoro Organic Law, which creates a new, expanded region in Mindanao.

Sen. Risa Hontiveros asked Devesa about the military’s allegations that members of the political opposition were involved in a plot to unseat the President.

Devesa, who heads the Armed Forces Training and Doctrine Command, said he had no access to the information that his colleagues had. —Leila B. Salaverria

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: AFP, Antonio Kho, Comelec, Commission on Appointments, Jason Aquino, Jose Midas Marquez, news briefs, NFA, Rolando Bautista, Roy Devesa, Sara Duterte-Carpio, Supreme Court
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.