Sunday, October 21, 2018
Close  
  • share this
LANDSLIDE IMPACT

Cimatu suspends top DENR execs in Central Visayas

By: - Senior Reporter / @adorCDN
/ 05:30 AM September 22, 2018

NAGA CITY, Cebu—Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu ordered the immediate suspension of top officials of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB)  in Central Visayas following the massive landslide in the village of Tinaan, Naga City, south Cebu.

“An investigation shall be made to find out why, how it happened, and what should we do to avoid a repeat of that incident,” he said at a press conference on Friday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ordered relieved were MGB Central Visayas chief head Loreto Alburo, chief finance officer Gerardo Mahusay, supervising geologist Dennis Aleta and chief geologist Al Emil Birador.

Cimatu also ordered a team from Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) Manila office to review geohazard mapping in the mountains of Naga City.

FEATURED STORIES

Widening cracks

Last month, Naga City officials sought the help of the Mines and Geosciences Bureau (MGB) to check on cracks found on the mountainside near the quarry site in the community of Tagaytay in Tinaan, after the cracks became bigger.

On Aug. 29, Mahusay wrote to Naga Mayor Kristine Chiong, assuring her that Tinaan was safe and that there was nothing to worry about. He said the cracks were not related to the quarry.

In an interview, Mahusay clarified that his letter was based on initial results of an inspection made on the same day.

He was supposed to issue a final report on Thursday based on a second inspection also on Wednesday.

Mahusay could not, however, make public yet the content of the final report saying it was with a field worker of MGB.

He said he only signs reports.

ADVERTISEMENT

MGB probe

The regional MGB office sent a team to investigate the landslide but in a statement on its official website, the bureau said heavy rainfall on Wednesday night and Thursday morning might have loosened soil in Tinaan and another village near the quarrying site, Naalad, and caused the landslide.

“The area is underlain by limestone rocks and cracks and fissures are common,” the regional MGB office said.

In an interview, MGB Central Visayas information officer Marian Codilla said the MGB did not declare the landslide area to be safe.

“Our geologists are still in the area to investigate further,” Codilla said.

Cimatu also suspended the environmental compliance certificate of the quarry operations of APO Land and Quarry Corp.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Cebu, Death Toll, DENR, disaster, ECC, EMB, environment, environmental management bureau, Landslide, limestone, Local news, MGB, mines, Mines and Geosciences Bureau, mudslide, Naga City, news, Philippine news updates, Quarrying, Roy Cimatu
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
sports

UST coach Ayo says Rike statement ‘unfair’

October 22, 2018 12:28 AM

entertainment

Angel Aquino, JC Santos topbill int’l film

October 22, 2018 12:06 AM

entertainment

DJ Khaled’s carnival-worthy birthday boy

October 22, 2018 12:05 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.