Close  

Koreas agreed to disarm border village

/ 12:45 PM September 19, 2018

In this image made from video provided by Korea Broadcasting System (KBS), South Korean President Moon Jae-in, left, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un pose after signing documents in Pyongyang, North Korea Wednesday, Sept. 19, 2018.(Korea Broadcasting System via AP)

PYONGYANG, North Korea — North and South Korea have agreed to disarm a jointly controlled border village, starting with the removal of land mines.

A joint statement signed by the countries’ military chiefs on Wednesday said the Koreas will aim to remove the mines in the Joint Security Area (JSA) in the truce village of Panmunjom within October and also remove guard posts from the area.

ADVERTISEMENT

The statement said the Koreas agreed to jointly verify the results of such steps and also allow tourists and observers to move freely within the JSA.  /kga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: DMZ, International news, Joint Security Area, JSA, Kim Jong-Un, land mines, Moon Jae-In, news, North korea, Panmunjom, peace, South korea, world, world news
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
entertainment

Brad Pitt asks astronaut: Who was better? Clooney or me?

September 17, 2019 06:31 AM

usa

How Is Joe Biden Doing so Far?

September 17, 2019 06:28 AM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.