Man in viral Makati traffic video nabbed for illegal possession of guns, explosives
The man who was earlier caught on video as he mauled Makati City traffic enforcers was arrested on Friday morning by police for alleged illegal possession of guns and explosives.
Armed with a search warrant, officers of the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) raided the Magallanes Village house of Arnold Padilla, a police report said.
Padilla’s video went viral earlier this August after he and his wife were seen hitting traffic enforcers in Magallanes.
NCRPO Chief Police Director Guillermo Eleazar told Radyo Inquirer that they recovered a shotgun, a caliber .45 pistol, and two grenades from Padilla’s house.
According to a report from Unang Balita, Padilla said the pistols seized by police are covered by licenses. He also claimed that the grenades were planted by the police raiders.
Eleazar, however, denied this claim, saying local officials, Padilla’s security guards and some members of the media are present during the raid.
“Ganyan naman lagi po yung sinasabi, hindi ba? Meron tayong witness at the very start of the search (That’s what they always say, right? We have witnesses at the very start of the search),” he said.
He said police launched the raid after they received several complaints against Padilla.
He also said Padilla has been banned from carrying any firearm after his license has been revoked in April this year over submitting fake drug results during his application in 2015.
“Nagsubmit siya ng drug test results na fake noong nag-aaply siya ng license…Ibig sabihin hindi siya dapat nag-iingat o naghahawak ng baril,” Eleazar said.
(He submitted fake drug test results when he applied for a license. It means he cannot keep or carry a gun.)
Police Chief Superintendent Valeriano De Leon, Director of the Firearms and Explosives Office of the Philippine National Police, also told reporters that four other pistols and a shotgun were surrendered by Padilla in April after his license has been revoked.
Padilla will be taken to Camp Bagong Diwa in Taguig City as charges are being prepared against him, Eleazar said /muf
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.