CHR to probe ‘nanlaban’ case in Manila amid contrasting stories
The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Wednesday said it is currently looking into the case of a drug suspect who was killed in an anti-drug operation last week after it noted conflicting narratives about his death.
In a statement, the Commission expressed concern over the rising number of cases of alleged drug personalities who died during buy-bust operations for supposedly putting up a fight.
“It is concerning that ‘nanlaban’ cases still abound without being properly tried in courts,” CHR spokesperson Jacqueline de Guia said in a statement.
She added that these operations “need to follow proper procedures aligned with enshrined rights and the rule of law.”
CHR noted that it is currently investigating the case of Adrian Acuzar, who died during an operation in Manila last August 16, because of different versions surrounding the circumstances of his death.
Acuzar reportedly engaged arresting police officers in a firefight at the corner of Zapanta and Pag-asa in Malate, Manila.
During the firefight, Acuzar fell to the ground as he was hit by policemen from the Malate Police Station.
He was rushed to the Ospital ng Maynila but was declared dead on arrival, police said in the report.
Authorities said policemen recovered the revolver used by the suspect, along with seven sachets of shabu and four P100 bills.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.