Thursday, September 20, 2018
Close  
  • share this

Robredo spox says ‘shabu hotbed’ claim mere mudslinging

/ 10:03 PM August 21, 2018

The spokesperson of Vice President Leni Robredo has downplayed accusations that Naga City is a “hotbed of shabu,” saying that it is just an attempt to tarnish her reputation.

“Sa tingin ko naman klaro na paninira ito kay Vice President Leni (Robredo),” Barry Gutierrez told reporters in an ambush interview after the Mass at Sto. Domingo Church on Tuesday, which was in commemoration of Senator Ninoy Aquino’s death anniversary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Gutierrez’ comments were an answer to President Rodrigo Duterte claim on August that the city has a rampant shabu problem.

Duterte said that he wants to step down, but would prefer either military junta, former Senator Bongbong Marcos or Senator Francis Escudero to succeed him, and not Robredo, due to the aforementioned drug issue.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Duterte rejects Robredo as his successor, says Naga a hotbed of shabu

READ: No need for Duterte to prove Naga is shabu hotbed – Palace

Gutierrez reiterated that Robredo prefers that the attack be focused on her, instead of the city which her late husband former Interior Secretary Jesse Robredo served as mayor, and which she also represented before.

“At gaya nga ng binanggit niya last week no’ng siya ay na-interview sa Naga mismo, imbes na siraan pa ‘yong Naga, imbes na siraan pa ‘yong siyudad na pinaghirapan ng maraming tao, […] eh siya na lang ang sirain,” he said, noting that Naga was just recently awarded as second-most competitive city in the country.

“Kung siya ang punterya ay handa siyang harapin, pero ‘wag nang idamay ‘yong siyudad.  Maraming tao ang nakikinabang sa maayos na pagpapatakbo dito,” he added.

READ: Robredo, Naga City cry foul over shabu hotbed tag

Good health for Duterte

ADVERTISEMENT

With questions on the state of President Rodrigo Duterte’s health, Gutierrez said that Robredo is ready to assume the presidency anytime as it is part of her sworn duty, according to the Constitution.

However, he emphasized they would prefer that nothing bad happens to Duterte.

“Ang pangunahing tungkulin ng bise-presidente ay mag-assume ng pagka-presidente kung meron mang mangyayari, sana wala (mangyari) sa ating pangulo,” he noted.

“Klarong-klaro sa kanya (Robredo) kung ano ang kanyang trabaho, klarong-klaro sa kanya kung ano ang sinumpa niya sa ilalim ng ating Konstitusyon, so walang duda, handa si VP Leni ano man ang mangyari,” he added.

On the other hand, Gutierrez said that it is the responsibility of the administration to inform the public on the real condition of Duterte.

“Ang kailangan sigurong mag-comment eh ‘yong Malacañang eh.  Ang pagkakaintindi ko sa Konstitusyon sila ang required na i-inform ang publiko kung ano ba talaga ang state ng health ng Presidente,” he claimed.

“Ngayon may lumalabas-labas na ganitong balita, syempre hindi naman namin papakinggan ‘yan, hihintayin namin ang opisyal na pahayag ng Palasyo,” he stated.

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Mass for National Transformation, Office of the Vice President, Philippine news updates, Spokesperson Barry Gutierrez, Vice President Leni Robredo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.