DOT hopes Naia runway mishap won’t deter visitor arrivals
The Department of Tourism (DOT) said it remains positive that the runway mishap at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia) last week will not deter the continuous growth of visitor arrivals.
“We remain positive that this isolated incident will not deter the continuous growth of visitor arrivals. Instead, this should serve as a challenge for all tourism stakeholders to continue working together to achieve the industry’s full potential, the Tourism department said in a statement on Monday.
The DOT also extended its apologies to local and foreign tourists affected by the flight delays brought about by a Xiamen Air jet that skidded off the runway.
READ: LOOK: China plane runway mishap strands passengers at Naia
“We fully support the Department of Transportation (DOTr)’s immediate move for the improvement of policies, procedures and protocols to effectively address this type of crisis and all other possible aviation emergencies,” DOT said.
The agency noted that it has instructed its DOT-Airport Offices “to provide all possible assistance to those affected by this incident.”
“We will meet with airlines and airport authorities to further discuss the instances of Compensation for Delayed/Cancelled Flights and Delayed/Lost Baggage in the interest of all parties,” it said.
According to reports, the aircraft appeared to have “bounced” in a hard landing then veered off the runway before rolling toward a rain-soaked grassy area with its lights off.
The passenger plane was stalled at Naia’s runway for 36 hours, affecting thousands of passengers. /ee
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.