By Shiena M. Barrameda
Cupping his hands around the flickering candlelight and shivering in an old white sando that was a size too large for his thin frame, eight-year-old Edcel Earl Balaes planted his slim white candle on the pavement along Real Street, one of this city’s main thoroughfares, as his contribution to the massive candle-lighting ceremony held here at dusk on Tuesday.
By Nikko Dizon
The death toll in the wake of Supertyphoon “Yolanda” (international name: “Haiyan”) on Wednesday neared the 6,000 mark, nearly three times the initial estimate made by President Aquino days after the strongest typhoon to hit land battered Eastern Visayas.
By Jerry E. Esplanada
Two Philippine Coast Guard search-and-rescue vessels — BRP Nueva Vizcaya and BRP Corregidor – have been patrolling off the coastal villages in Tacloban City and neighboring areas in Leyte and Samar provinces to look for bodies of victims of storm surges brought about by “supertyphoon Yolanda” (international name Haiyan), the PCG spokesperson said.
By Michael Lim Ubac
More bodies turned up eight days after “supertyphoon Yolanda” (international name Haiyan) brought strong winds and tsunami-like storm surges that engulfed this capital of Leyte province.
By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
“I just want to find my husband and bring him home,” said Margie Molina.
By Dona Z. Pazzibugan
Classes will resume in typhoon-devastated areas by January 2013 despite the extensive loss of lives and property, according to Education Secretary Armin Luistro.
By Dennis Jay Santos and Frinston Lim
Bonifacio Adlawan, 54, admitted the difficulty of accepting that his wife, Carmelita, 48, could be among the hundreds who died during typhoon Pablo’s onslaught here last week.
By Marlon Ramos
The death toll from typhoon “Pablo” (international name” Bopha) that struck several provinces in the Visayas and Mindanao last week has climbed to 647 as rescue workers continued to search for 780 individuals who remained missing as of Monday, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
By Dennis Jay Santos
, Frinston Lim
, Nico Alconaba
Authorities fear that the death toll due to typhoon Pablo (international codename: Bopha) could reach 1,000 as almost 600 bodies have been recovered in the two hardest-hit Mindanao provinces.
By Cai Panlilio
With toppled trees and debris scattered everywhere, residents of this city must have thought that the worst of Pablo had passed.
By Jeannette I. Andrade
Environment and natural resources officials attributed on Thursday the high number of casualties in several Compostela Valley towns to unheeded government warnings on typhoon Pablo, emphasizing that illegal logging and illegal mining were to blame for the devastation.