MANILA, Philippines?The country?s courts will remain lacking by 733 prosecutors because no budget has been allotted for their hiring in the 2011 proposed outlay for the Department of Justice.
Justice Secretary Leila De Lima lamented that this could affect the administration of justice.
?With inadequate budgetary resources, the quality of administration of justice suffers,? she told the appropriations committee on Monday?s hearing of their proposed budget.
Malacanang is proposing a P7.7 billion budget for DoJ, representing 0.46 percent of the P1.654-trillion national budget for next year.
But De Lima said the proposed outlay does not include budget for the hiring of the needed 733 prosecutors all over the country.
Prosecutor General Claro Arellano said hiring the 733 prosecutors is part of the ?phase by phase implementation? of Republic Act 10071 or the National Prosecution Service Act, to achieve the ideal ratio two prosecutors for every regional trial court judge; one prosecutor for every municipal trial court; and one prosecutor for every two municipal circuit trial court.
He said a total of P914 million is needed for the full implementation of the law.
De Lima said a number of their proposals for funding were also not considered in the 2011 budget, including the P10 million increase in inquest allowance for prosecutors; P10 million hazard duty pay for prosecutors; and P1.5 million for the creation of personnel for the Witness Protection Program.
Despite the budget cuts, De Lima assured her department will continue doing its job and will not engage in "prosecutors' revolt" amid last week's threat by some members of the judiciary to launch a "judicial revolt" because of cuts in their budget.