Sunday, May 27, 2018
Close  
  • share this

North Korea threatens to cancel US summit

/ 06:11 AM May 16, 2018
On TV Donald Trump, Kim Jung Un, Moon Jae In

People watch a TV screen showing file footage of US President Donald Trump (right), South Korean President Moon Jae-in (center), and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un (left) during a news program at the Seoul Railway Station in Seoul, South Korea on Wednesday, April 18, 2018. The sign read: “Summit meeting between South and North Korea, the United States and North Korea .” (Photo by AHN YOUNG-JOON / AP)

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea canceled on Wednesday a high-level meeting with South Korea and threatened to scrap a historic summit next month between United States President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un over military exercises between Seoul and Washington that Pyongyang has long claimed are invasion rehearsals.

The surprise declaration, which came in a pre-dawn dispatch in North Korea’s state media, appears to cool what had been an unusual flurry of outreach from a country that last year conducted a provocative series of weapons tests that had many fearing the region was on the edge of war. It was still unclear, however, whether the North intends to scuttle all diplomacy or merely wants to gain leverage ahead of the planned June 12 talks between Kim and Trump.

The statement was released hours before the two Koreas were to meet at a border village to discuss setting up talks aimed at reducing military tension along the world’s most heavily armed border and restarting reunions between families separated by the Korean War.

ADVERTISEMENT

The North’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) called the two-week-long Max Thunder drills, which began on Monday and reportedly include about 100 aircraft, an “intended military provocation” and an “apparent challenge” to an April summit between Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in, when the rival leaders met on their border and agreed to reduce animosity as well as set up more high-level exchanges.

“The United States must carefully contemplate the fate of the planned North Korea-US summit amid the provocative military ruckus that it’s causing with South Korean authorities,” the North said on Wednesday. “We’ll keenly monitor how the United States and South Korean authorities will react.”

Annual military drills between Washington and Seoul have long been a major source of contention between the Koreas, and analysts have wondered whether their continuation would hurt the detente that, since an outreach by Kim in January, has replaced the insults and threats of war. Earlier — and much larger — springtime drills, which Washington and Seoul toned down, went off without the North’s typically fiery condemnation or accompanying weapons tests.

In Washington, the US State Department emphasized that Kim had previously indicated he understood the need and purpose of the US continuing its long-planned joint exercises with South Korea.

State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US had not heard anything directly from Pyongyang or Seoul that would change that.

“We will continue to go ahead and plan the meeting between President Trump and Kim Jong Un,” Nauert said.

Army Col. Rob Manning said this current exercise is part of US and South Korea’s “routine, annual training program to maintain a foundation of military readiness.”

Manning, a Pentagon spokesman, said the purpose of Max Thunder and exercise Foal Eagle — another training event — is to enhance the two nations’ abilities to operate together to defend South Korea.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The defensive nature of these combined exercises has been clear for many decades and has not changed,” Manning said.

Washington and Seoul delayed an earlier round of drills in the spring because of the North-South diplomacy surrounding February’s Pyeongchang Winter Olympics in the South, which saw Kim send his sister to the opening ceremonies.

Kim told visiting South Korean officials in March that he “understands” the drills would take place and expressed hope that they will be modified once the situation on the peninsula stabilizes, according to the South Korean government.

South Korea did not immediately make an official response to the North’s announcement.

The North’s statement issued on Wednesday comes amid a flurry surprising moves from the North in recent weeks.

On Tuesday, South Korea’s military said North Korea was moving ahead with plans to close its nuclear test site next week, an assessment backed by US researchers, who said satellite images show the North has begun dismantling facilities at the site.

The site’s closure was set to come before the Kim-Trump summit, which had been shaping up as a crucial moment in the decades-long push to resolve the nuclear standoff with the North, which is closing in on the ability to viably target the US mainland with its long-range nuclear-armed missiles.              /kga

Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Foal Eagle, Kore Peninsula, Max Thunder, Military exercise, North korea, nuke, peace, South korea, Summit, US
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
newsinfo

Motorcyclist dies in Lucena road accident

May 27, 2018 09:17 AM

newsinfo

Duterte to Dole: Convene wage boards

May 27, 2018 07:27 AM

newsinfo

Gov’t, Reds see peace talks revival in June

May 27, 2018 07:26 AM

globalnation

PH starts repairs on Pag-asa airstrip

May 27, 2018 07:25 AM



© Copyright 1997-2018 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.