Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Close  
newsinfo / Nation

Gascon: No CHR statement ruling out rights abuses in Mindanao

newsinfo / Nation
  • share this

Gascon: No CHR statement ruling out rights abuses in Mindanao

/ 02:13 PM July 22, 2017

Commission on Human Rights (CHR) chairperson Chito Gascon on Saturday said the Commission has not issued any categorical statement that there are no human-rights violations in Mindanao.

Gascon made the clarification during the joint special session in the House of Representatives, where Congress convened to tackle the request of President Rodrigo Duterte to prolong martial law in Mindanao until the end of the year.

Addressing lawmakers from both chambers, Gascon clarified that the CHR has not issued any statement that rules out any martial law-related abuses in Mindanao, contrary to what CHR Commissioner Roberto Eugenio Cadiz earlier told the Inquirer.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: CHR exec: No rights abuses reported so far under Mindanao martial law 

Gascon admitted that the commission has not yet made any report of human-rights violations in Mindanao, but this is “different from any categorical statement that there is no human-rights violation.”

In fact, reports of human-rights violations have been coming in to the commission since the martial law was declared on May 23, Gascon said.

“We don’t have a categorical statement to say there is no human-rights violation,” Gascon said.

Gascon countered the statement of Cadiz, who said the CHR regional offices in Mindanao has not yet reported any human-rights violations in Mindanao under martial law.

“Our regional offices have not reported yet any violations arising from martial law,” Cadiz earlier told the Inquirer. “But there are concerns this might be used for reasons other than quelling rebellion. It may be used for political reasons. There are fears of that, although wala pa (it has not happened yet).”

Congress convened Saturday to tackle Duterte’s request to extend martial law in Mindanao. His martial law proclamation is set to expire today July 22, after the 60-day period prescribed in the 1987 Constitution. JPV

ADVERTISEMENT

Inquirer calls for support for the victims in Marawi City

Responding to appeals for help, the Philippine Daily Inquirer is extending its relief to victims of the attacks in Marawi City

Cash donations may be deposited in the Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860.

Inquiries may be addressed to Inquirer’s Corporate Affairs office through Connie Kalagayan at 897-4426, ckalagayan@inquirer.com.ph and Bianca Kasilag-Macahilig at 897-8808 local 352, bkasilag@inquirer.com.ph.

For donation from overseas:

Inquirer Foundation Corp account:

Inquirer Foundation Corp. Banco De Oro (BDO) Current Account No: 007960018860

Swift Code: BNORPHMM

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Chito Gascon, Human Rights Issue, Marawi City, Martial law, Mindanao conflict, Roberto Eugenio Cadiz
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved