Suspected Abu Sayyaf men kidnap 4 construction workers in Sulu
ZAMBOANGA CITY — Hours before President Rodrigo Duterte was scheduled to arrive in Sulu on Saturday, four construction workers were kidnapped by suspected Abu Sayyaf men.
The victims were painters hired to work on the Kawmpang Elementary School in the Barangay Bangkal in Patikul town.
The Patikul Municipal Police Station said it learned about the kidnapping, which reportedly took place at 1:30 a.m., from one of the construction workers who was able to escape.
The escapee, Larry Velasquez, said at least 20 armed men forcibly took them.
Police identified the four victims as Joel Adanza, Felimon Cordero, Edmundo Ramos, and Jayson Baylosis – all residents of Barangay Tumaga in Zamboanga City.
Brig. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana, commander of Joint Task Force Sulu, said they were still busy getting ready for the President’s visit.
Capt. Jo-Ann Petinglay, spokesperson of the Western Mindanao Command (WesMinCom), said the military had not received any report about the kidnapping.
Earlier, the WesMinCom released a statement about soldiers who would receive wounded personnel medals from Duterte.
Petinglay said the soldiers were wounded in a clash with Abu Sayyaf bandits in Patikul last week. –Julie S. Alipala /atm
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.