Ballot boxes in short supply for Puerto Princesa recall election
The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has ordered that ballot boxes containing election forms and documents used in the 2013 barangay polls be opened, emptied and reused in the recall elections for the mayor of Puerto Princesa City on May 8.
The city needs 390 ballot boxes for the recall election but so far only 163 are available, the Comelec said.
“In order to augment the ballot box deficiency in Puerto Princesa, there is a need to open ballot boxes currently in possession of the city treasurer containing election forms and documents used in the 2013 barangay elections in order that said ballot boxes may be utilized for the recall elections,” the Comelec said in a resolution.
The poll agency said the ballot boxes may be used in the recall elections as long as they were not part of an election protest or investigation.
“The inventory of available yellow metal boxes shows that there are 163 available in Puerto Princesa, while 390 boxes are needed for the recall election, resulting in a deficit of 227 ballot boxes,” read the Comelec Resolution No. 9941 dated April 7.
Last week, the Comelec declared as sufficient the number of signatures on the recall petition filed by Al Roben Go against Puerto Princesa Mayor Lucilo Bayron to merit the holding of a recall election.
The Comelec said it might order the use of some of the 357 surplus ballot boxes in the province of Palawan to cover the ballot box shortfall.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.