Quantcast
Latest Stories

We did not initiate Sotto-funded project, says Rizal town exec

By

A letter shown to media by Sen. Vicente Sotto III (in photo) supposedly sent by then Teresa Mayor Rodel de la Cruz to the senator’s office in 2012 and requesting funding for the antidengue project could be authentic, according to a town official of Teresa, Rizal. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

Teresa, a first-class municipality in Rizal province, did not initiate a supposed antidengue project funded from the pork barrel of Sen. Vicente Sotto III, a town official insisted on Tuesday.

The official, however, said a letter shown to media by Sotto supposedly sent by then Teresa Mayor Rodel de la Cruz to the senator’s office in 2012 and requesting funding for the antidengue project could be authentic.

“That was the only way for the transaction to proceed,” the official, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisal from his superiors, told the

Inquirer by phone.

Sotto’s office released copies of letters from the mayors of Teresa and Tanay, another first-class municipality (annual income: at least P55 million) in Rizal, asking the senator for financial help from his 2012 pork, officially known as Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF).

Teresa received P1.5 million from Sotto’s pork, while Tanay received P5 million, both on March 29, 2012. The fund releases are listed on the website of the Department of Budget and Management.

Requests on need basis

“We did not initiate the project,” the Teresa official said, adding that he was unaware of any official request for the project made to the office of Sotto.

While the town had forwarded several requests for PDAF from lawmakers, the official said these were all made “on a need basis.” Effective Microwealth Probiotics (EMP) solutions, which were purchased with Sotto’s pork for the supposed antidengue project, were not needed by the town, he said.

Sotto’s pork to Teresa was used to purchase 2,140 liters of EMP from Innsbruck International Trading, which has a fictitious address in Rodriguez town, also in Rizal. Teresa still has an unused stock of more than 2,000 gallons of the EMP liquid generally used to deodorize garbage.

Marlon Pielago, Teresa environment officer, said the municipality did not want to buy EMP because it could produce the same enzyme using unrefined sugar and spoiled rice mixed with water to culture bacteria that speeds up garbage decomposition.

“We can make it ourselves,” Pielago said.

Tanay mayor returns money

Tanay, according to a letter from its mayor, Rafael Tanjuatco, to Sotto, returned the money in November 2012 and requested that it be allocated instead for the repair of a farm-to-market road.

In a phone interview on Tuesday, Tanjuatco confirmed having sent the letter requesting permission for an alternative purpose for the funding. In his letter, the mayor said the municipality was returning the money to the National Treasury.

The Inquirer asked Teresa officials if they had kept a duplicate copy of the letter request for funding supposedly sent by then Mayor Rodel de la Cruz to Sotto. They did not, they said.

Even the municipal accounting office could not show copies of bidding documents when the Inquirer asked to see these last week. “It could have been one of those top-level (agreements),” the official said.

The official defended De la Cruz, who served for three terms as mayor. De la Cruz might have been just a “victim of circumstances,” he said, describing him as someone who would not get involved in shady deals.

Pressed further, the official said it was common practice for staff members of lawmakers to approach local government units and proffer projects for pork funding. Beneficiaries, like LGUs, have no say in choosing which company or group would supply the materials being funded “because it comes as a package deal.”

In Pililla, another first-class Rizal municipality that received P5 million for EMP in 2011 through the pork of another senator, Manuel “Lito” Lapid, officials narrated a similar practice of lawmakers’ staff members.

Daniel Ricardo, Pililla planning officer, said in an earlier phone interview that it was Lapid’s office, through a staff member whose name he could not recall, that offered pork projects to the town.

All that the LGU is required to do, he said, was to submit written project proposals and letters requesting pork funding to the senator.

In Baras, still another first-class Rizal municipality and beneficiary of Lapid’s PDAF, no bidding took place after the LGU was told that Innsbruck would be the exclusive distributor of the EMP.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Philippines , Pork barrel , pork scam , Rizal province , Vicente Sotto III




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Henares on Pacquiao bashing: I did not start this
  2. ‘Mom, I love you,’ says text from student on sinking ferry
  3. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  6. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  7. Passengers denied chance to escape sinking South Korea ferry
  8. South Korea president shouted down by distraught parents
  9. Two Popes who would be saints
  10. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  4. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  5. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  6. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  7. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  8. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  9. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  5. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  6. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  7. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  8. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  9. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  10. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
Advertisement

News

  • Title of new Hillary Clinton book: ‘Hard Choices’
  • Filipinos, Dutch re-enact crucifixion of Christ
  • 14 killed in car bombing in Homs
  • 57-nation group plays key Ukraine monitoring role
  • French President Hollande’s top aide resigns
  • Sports

  • Nadal ousted by Ferrer in Monte Carlo quarters
  • Pacquiao shorts in Bradley fight sold for P1.7M in LA auction
  • Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants
  • Alonso sets the pace in Chinese GP practice
  • Heat seek Three-peat but Spurs, Pacers top seeds
  • Lifestyle

  • Levine designs womenswear with help from fiancee
  • Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • Entertainment

  • EXO postpones release of mini album ‘Overdose’
  • ‘X-men’ filmmaker slams ‘fabricated’ sex attack claims
  • Singer Chris Brown’s bodyguard on trial in DC
  • Whoopi Goldberg debuts as marijuana columnist
  • ‘X-men’ director accused of sex assault on teen boy
  • Business

  • Italy sells luxury state cars on eBay
  • Asian shares mostly up in quiet trade
  • Dollar up in Asia on US jobs data, Ukraine deal
  • Barbie doll has a problem
  • Oil prices mixed ahead of long Easter weekend
  • Technology

  • Nasa’s moon-orbiting robot crashes down
  • Netizens pay respects to Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • Nokia recalls 30,000 chargers for Lumia 2520 tablet
  • Facebook rolls out ‘nearby friends’ feature
  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Filipina accomplice arrested for fake bills in Malaysia
  • DoH denies Filipino nurse no longer positive for MERS virus
  • WHO warns vs spread of MERS-Cov, urges vigilance in taking precautions
  • Last call for nominations to ’14 Presidential Awards
  • San Francisco business coalition slams proposed tax on sugary drinks
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement