Quantcast
Latest Stories

Aquino ‘killed’ talks–Sison

By

LUCENA CITY—Communist Party of the Philippines founder Jose Maria Sison has accused President Aquino of being responsible for the “death”  of the peace talks with the communist insurgents.

“He allowed OPAPP (Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process) and Secretary Teresita Deles to obstruct and practically kill the peace negotiations, whether it is the special track or the regular track,” Sison said in an email interview on Thursday.

Sison called the Aquino administration “dishonest” for saying that the peace negotiations had already been terminated.

He insisted the peace talks was not yet officially dead. For the termination of the peace talks to be effective, it should follow the process as agreed upon by both parties, he said.

Longest rebellion

“It (Aquino administration) claims to have already terminated the peace negotiations. But it has not sent to the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) any written notice of termination, which takes effect 30 days after receipt by the NDFP,” Sison  said.

The NDFP is the political arm of the CPP. Its armed wing, the New People’s Army (NPA), has been waging war against the government for more than 40 years, considered as the world’s longest-running communist rebellion.

Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda, quoting Deles, said the other day that the talks with the communist insurgents were dead, and blamed the NDFP, which is representing the CPP in the talks, for having “killed” the negotiations with its preconditions and demands.

Deles said the government was pursuing discussions to resume the negotiations using a new approach, generally taken to mean as the so-called “localized peace talks.”

Luis Jalandoni, head of the NDFP panel, disputed the government claim that the negotiations had reached a dead end.

He reiterated that the government had not given the NDFP any written notice of termination of the peace talks.

Termination process

He said the termination process is stipulated in the joint agreement on safety and immunity guarantees (Jasig) signed by the two sides in 1995.

He said it was not true as the government claimed that the Norwegian special envoy Ture  Lundh, the official third-party facilitator, had been informed of the  government decision to stop the peace talks.

He quoted an April 30 email from Lundh stating that the Philippine government “neither officially nor unofficially informed me of any termination of peace negotiations with the NDFP.”

According to Sison, the government has long paralyzed the regular track in the peace negotiations, declaring The Hague joint declaration as a document of perpetual division and the Jasig as “inoperative and useless in protecting NDFP consultants, staff, security officers and others.”

“The [government] has deliberately refused to comply with its commitments in agreements forged with the NDF, despite the full knowledge that compliance would immediately break the impasse and cause the resumption of the formal talks,” he said.

He said the government wanted “nothing but the pacification and capitulation of the revolutionary forces of the Filipino people through indefinite unilateral ceasefires without the basic reforms required by The Hague joint declaration and subsequent agreements.”

Sison and Jalandoni assailed the government resurrection of the “localized peace talk” as the new approach to negotiations.

Sison said the central organs of the CPP/NDF/NPA do not allow any localized peace talks “because such would fragment the highly unified revolutionary movement.”

“But what the Aquino regime, the OPAPP and the military can do is to fake localized peace talks with the use of military assets,” he said.

“No organs of the CPP, NPA and NDFP would negotiate with a regime that does not know how to respect solemn agreements,” he said.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Benigno Aquino III , Jose Maria Sison , Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process , Peace Talks , Secretary Teresita Deles




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  6. DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  7. Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  8. Estrada, Gigi Reyes denied access to evidence from other respondents
  9. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  10. DOJ orders arrest of Cedric Lee
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  3. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  4. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  5. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  6. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  7. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  8. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  9. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  5. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  6. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  7. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  8. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  9. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
  10. Cudia, dismissed for lying, got 99% in conduct
Advertisement

News

  • Anti-gay demo in Ethiopia cancelled
  • Obama launches measures to support solar energy in US
  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • Sports

  • Vietnam says it will not host Asian Games
  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Lifestyle

  • Ford Mustang turns 50 atop Empire State Building
  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Entertainment

  • Cannes film festival launches race for 2014 Palme d’Or
  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement