1 of 4 missing landfill workers buried under trash found

SHARES:

04:57 PM April 24th, 2013

Recommended
By: Jamie Marie Elona, April 24th, 2013 04:57 PM

A PANORAMIC view of the Rizal Provincial Sanitary Landfill. INQUIRER FILE PHOTO/ROMY HOMILLADA

MANILA, Philippines—The body of a landfill worker who was believed to have been buried alive with three others under a huge garbage dump collapse in Rizal last week has been found Wednesday, police said.

Chief Superintendent Benito Estipona, Calabarzon regional police director, identified the recovered victim as Gary Balahibo, a backhoe operator, who was among the four workers who were trapped under mounds of trash in Barangay (village) San Isidro, Rodriguez, Rizal around 4 p.m. Friday.

Estipona said Balahibo’s body was found inside the backhoe, adding that search operations continue for the three other victims identified as Pablito Esto, Rovidico Olod and Eddie Malano.

Metropolitan Manila Development Authority chairman Francis Tolentino earlier said that information reaching his office indicated the victims tried to run from the backhoe when they saw the trash slide.

He also reassured the victims’ family that MMDA will continue its efforts to help retrieve the victims.

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.