Police note ‘orderly’ Holy Week exodus
MANILA, Philippines – All was “normal and secure” so far in Metro Manila Wednesday even as many trooped to bus terminals, airports and seaports to head to the provinces for the Holy Week break.
National Capital Region Police Office [NCRPO] chief Director Leonardo Espina visited bus terminals Wednesday morning for routine security checks and declared that everything was so far “orderly especially with passengers traveling to the provinces.”
At the Araneta Center Bus Terminal alone, he said about 9,000 passengers waited for their trip to the provinces within the day.
The NCRPO has deployed 9,500 of its officers to ensure the safety of those staying in the metropolis and those leaving for the provinces.
Traffic was so far manageable along Edsa save for certain portions along the northbound lane like Cubao and Ortigas, which had moderate to heavy traffic as well as Magallanes to Tramo along the southbound lane which showed moderate traffic.
Traffic was also fast moving along the North Luzon Expressway [NLEX] and the South Luzon Expressway [SLEX] so far.
NLEX monitored traffic build up at Balintawak and the northbound lane at the Dau toll plaza a little before 2 p.m.
Traffic also became sluggish along SLEX upon reaching the Calamba exit but the Manila Toll Expressway Systems Incorporated (Mates) said that it was not enough to slow traffic down significantly.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.