Left told noise not helping storm victims
DAVAO CITY—The military took a swipe at militant groups, saying noisy protests are not helping survivors of Typhoon “Pablo” any.
Colonel Leopoldo Galon, head of the 5th Civil Relations Group here, said what the evacuees need was tangible help to restore their livelihood and rebuild their homes.
“What happened at the DSWD was sad,” he said, referring to the February 26 raid by protesters on the compound of the Department of Social Welfare and Development here.
Galon said the military wanted to step up efforts to help the typhoon survivors.
Starting on March 21, he said bands and musicians have been invited to the Abreeza Mall here for a three-night benefit concert dubbed “Live Aid for Survivors of Typhoon Pablo.”
Galon said 14 bands have signed up for the concert aimed at raising at least P1 million to help finance the construction of 280 houses by the Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) for Pablo survivors.
The military, Galon said, plans to build or repair at least 600 houses in Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley and has completed work on 320 houses so far.
The lack of funds, however, is delaying the military work on the houses, according to Galon. He said some groups, like the Davao City Chamber of Commerce and Industry, have donated funds. The chamber donated P300,000.
More funds, however, are still needed, according to Galon. “This is a different kind of making noise,” said Galon of the planned concert.
He urged the people of Davao to show unity in efforts to help Pablo survivors.
“This is the best time to show it,” said Galon. Germelina Lacorte, Inquirer Mindanao
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.