‘Vatileaks’ journalist denied Vatican accreditation
More News from Agence France-Presse
VATICAN CITY—An Italian journalist who published leaks of confidential papal documents last year said Monday he had been denied accreditation by the Vatican to cover the upcoming conclave.
“This is a choice for obscurantism, far from transparency and press freedom,” Gianluigi Nuzzi said on his Twitter account.
Nuzzi published his book “Your Holiness: The Secret Papers of Benedict XVI” last year, alleging high intrigue at the heart of the Catholic Church.
Benedict’s butler Paolo Gabriele—one of the lay people closest to the head of the world’s Catholics—was convicted of leaking the documents but later pardoned by the then pope.
The scandal came to be known as “Vatileaks.”
Nuzzi had submitted his accreditation application online on behalf of the private television channel La7.
He said he received a letter on Monday saying he had been denied without any explanation.
More than 5,600 journalists have been accredited to cover the election of the next pope.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these chat apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94