No TRO either for JalosjosBy Jerome Aning
Philippine Daily Inquirer
MANILA, Philippines—The Supreme Court has refused former Congressman Romeo Jalosjos’ bid to temporarily stop the Commission on Elections (Comelec) from disqualifying him from the Zamboanga mayoralty post.
In an order issued on Tuesday, the court en banc merely ordered the Comelec to comment on the petition filed by Jalosjos questioning his disqualification by the poll body for being a convicted rapist.
Justice Estela Perlas-Bernabe penned the decision.
Last week, Jalosjos asked the high court to reverse the Comelec resolution that canceled his certificate of candidacy on the ground of his previous conviction for the crime of rape which, the poll body said, includes “perpetual disqualification for holding public office.”
‘Lacking due process’
Jalosjos said the disqualification, which the Comelec ordered “motu propio” (on its own), was tainted with grave abuse of discretion and lack of due process. He said even “nuisance candidates” are given their day by the Comelec to defend their candidacies.
The Court of Appeals is currently hearing a separate case filed by Jalosjos questioning the Zamboanga City election registration board’s decision to reject his voter’s registration in September last year.
Originally posted: 7:40 pm | Friday, February 1st, 2013