Quantcast
Latest Stories

‘Atimonan 13’ probe a test for Aquino’s credibility, says Palace

By

President Benigno Aquino III FILE PHOTO

The investigation of the killing of 13 people in a supposed gun battle between government security forces and alleged criminals in Atimonan town, Quezon province, on Jan. 6 is a test of President Aquino’s good government policy, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Secretary Herminio Coloma of the Presidential Communication Operations Office said the Aquino administration’s credibility was at stake in the investigation.

Coloma said the President specifically ordered an exhaustive and independent investigation by the National Bureau of Investigation to preclude doubts about the outcome of the investigation.

And so far, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Philippine National Police have responded by relieving police officers involved in the Atimonan operation, Coloma said.

“This is no ordinary event, and the policy that we call ’straight path and good governance’ would be disputed if we failed to convince the people that we had an exhaustive investigation, and hold those responsible liable,’’ he said.

The President, who expressed doubts that a shootout took place because of “inconsistencies” in the initial police report, ordered a full and exhaustive investigation by the NBI.

Stop speculations

Coloma appealed for a stop to speculations in the press about the circumstances surrounding the incident pending the release of the official investigative report.

“Let’s minimize the over-speculation, the intrigue, to allow a smooth flow of the investigation, and to avoid any bias in the final findings of the NBI,’’ he said.

Three policemen and three soldiers were among the 13 people killed in the supposed shootout at a joint police-military checkpoint along a sparsely populated stretch of Maharlika Highway in Barangay (village) Lumutan in Atimonan.

Supt. Hansel Marantan, leader of the police team at the checkpoint, was the only one wounded among more than 40 policemen and members of the Army Special Forces that allegedly shot it out with the group of alleged illegal gambling lord Victor “Vic” Siman.

Police claimed the victims were members of a gun-for-hire and illegal gambling syndicate. But the families of the victims denied the accusations and charged that the victims were summarily executed.

Senate inquiry

Police sources said the supposed gun battle was the offshoot of a rivalry for turf between two syndicates involved in the numbers racket “jueteng.”

Coloma welcomed the announcement by Sen. Gregorio Honasan that his committee on public order and dangerous drugs would open an inquiry into the killings when Congress reconvened on Jan. 21.

“It’s all right for the Senate to help in the overall efforts to correct whatever system led to the Atimonan incident,” Coloma said.

Honasan said the inquiry would focus on the conduct of the policemen and soldiers at the checkpoint.


Follow Us

Follow us on Facebook Follow on Twitter Follow on Twitter


Recent Stories:

Complete stories on our Digital Edition newsstand for tablets, netbooks and mobile phones; 14-issue free trial. About to step out? Get breaking alerts on your mobile.phone. Text ON INQ BREAKING to 4467, for Globe, Smart and Sun subscribers in the Philippines.

Tags: Alfredo Consemino , Atimonan 13 , Benigno Aquino , Crime , DoJ , gambling , Government , Hansel Marantan , Illegal drugs , Jueteng , Military , NBI , Police , Quezon Province , Quezon shootout , Regions , Vic Siman




Copyright © 2014, .
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City, Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94
Advertisement
  1. Kim Henares needs a reprimand, says Cayetano
  2. ‘No real progress in PH if dynasties not dismantled’
  3. More legal woes for Cedric Lee
  4. Massive infra spending set
  5. OFW brings MERS virus to Philippines
  6. DOJ to NBI: Arrest Cedric Lee, 4 others
  7. Cardinal Tagle to faithful: Join politics to clean it
  8. Estrada, Gigi Reyes denied access to evidence from other respondents
  9. Lacson’s wife loses diamond earring to thieves but recovers jewelry quickly with police arrest
  10. DOJ orders arrest of Cedric Lee
  1. Suspect in Vhong Navarro mauling tries to leave PH
  2. MH370 co-pilot made mid-flight phone call – report
  3. Netizens cry: 6/55 Lotto was rigged
  4. I’ll follow my conscience on Estrada, says JV Ejercito
  5. ‘Wife of Jesus’ theory papyrus not fake – Harvard study
  6. Fr. Suarez says last Mass on Easter before returning donated land to San Miguel
  7. Gay college instructor arrested for oral sex with student
  8. ‘King’ Yabut and I: Driver bares Makati dad ‘abuses’
  9. It was difficult having Japanese blood
  10. Palace: We can’t blame increase in population on Vitangcol
  1. KL confirms Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 ended in Indian Ocean
  2. MRT passengers pass the hat for 6-year-old Ashley
  3. Pork payoffs to newscasters Erwin Tulfo, Del Prado, others bared
  4. UP back on top as ‘average’ student aces bar
  5. Rookie, lady cops lauded for quick response to MOA heist
  6. Model Helena Belmonte wished ‘to slash her wrist and hope to die’
  7. Malaysia averts another air tragedy; pilot lands troubled plane safely
  8. Revilla says he was joking; Lacson stands by his story
  9. Revilla ‘consulted’ Lacson on how he evaded arrest
  10. Police rule out foul play in Helena Belmonte’s death as boyfriend is ‘traumatized’
Advertisement

News

  • Nebraska toddler gets stuck inside claw machine
  • Philippine eagle rescued by Army turned over to DENR
  • Gunmen attack Iraq military base, kill 10 soldiers
  • South Korea president shouted down by distraught parents
  • Classmates celebrating 60th birthday among missing in ferry sinking
  • Sports

  • Nadal passes clay landmark with 300th victory
  • Wawrinka waltzes through with Monte Carlo walkover
  • Power Pinays smash India in Asian Women’s Club volleyball opener
  • PH youth boxers off to stumbling start in AIBA World tilt
  • Durant has 42, Thunder beat Pistons 112-111
  • Lifestyle

  • Pro visual artists, lensmen to judge Pagcor’s photo contest
  • ‘Labahita a la bacalao’
  • This is not just a farm
  • Clams and garlic, softshell crab risotto–not your usual seafood fare for Holy Week
  • Moist, extra-tender blueberry muffins
  • Entertainment

  • Jones, Godard, Cronenberg in competition at Cannes
  • Will Arnett files for divorce from Amy Poehler
  • American rapper cuts own penis, jumps off building
  • Jay Z to bring Made in America music fest to LA
  • Why Lucky has not bought an engagement ring for Angel
  • Business

  • Total says makes ‘very promising’ oil find off Ivory Coast
  • ‘Chinese Twitter’ firm Weibo to go public in US
  • World stocks subdued, Nikkei flat on profit taking
  • Asia stocks fail to match Wall Street gains
  • Fired Yahoo exec gets $58M for 15 months of work
  • Technology

  • Netizens seethe over Aquino’s ‘sacrifice’ message
  • Filipinos #PrayForSouthKorea
  • Taylor Swift tries video blogging, crashes into fan’s bridal shower
  • DOF: Tagaytay, QC best at handling funds
  • Smart phone apps and sites perfect for the Holy Week
  • Opinion

  • Editorial cartoon, April 17, 2014
  • A humbler Church
  • Deepest darkness
  • ‘Agnihotra’ for Earth’s health
  • It’s the Holy Week, time to think of others
  • Global Nation

  • Malaysia quarantines 64 villagers over MERS virus
  • DFA: 2 Filipinos survive Korean ferry disaster
  • PH asks airline passengers to check for MERS
  • Syria most dangerous country for journalists, PH 3rd—watchdog
  • Japan says visa-free entry still a plan
  • Marketplace
    Advertisement