Sunday, December 4, 2016
Close  

DOJ confirms 58th victim in Maguindanao massacre

/ 04:02 PM September 25, 2012

MANILA, Philippines—The Department of Justice has formally recognized a photojournalist as the 58th victim of the 2009 Maguindanao massacre.

The body of Reynaldo Geneblaza Momay has not been found but the DOJ included him based on his dentures found at the scene of the killings blamed on the powerful Ampatuan clan.

Quezon City Regional Trial Court clerk Jimmy Cardines said in Manila on Tuesday that the DOJ has revised murder charges against Andal Ampatuan Sr., his son former Datu Unsay Mayor Andal Ampatuan Jr. and nearly 200 other suspects to include Momay as a victim.

ADVERTISEMENT

Members of the Ampatuan clan and gunmen arrested with them have pleaded not guilty. They are accused of killing 32 journalists and many supporters of the clan’s political opponent who traveled in a convoy of vehicles.

In January, Ma. Reynafe Momay-Castillo filed the complaint for murder for the death of her father Reynaldo Momay, a photojournalist for the Tacurong City-based Midland Review.

Lawyer Gilbert Andres said the Philippine National Police will present another witness, Peruvian forensic expert Dr. Jose Pablo who will testify on Momay’s inclusion on the list of massacre victims.

The suspects were previously being tried by the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 221 for 57 counts of murder. Trial will resume on October 3 after the lower court opted to take a break to resolve all pending motions by both parties. Tetch Torres, INQUIRER.net

TAGS: Ampatuan, Crime, Killing, Maguindanao massacre, Reynaldo Momay
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved