Pagcor allocates P8.14M for relief operations for flood victimsINQUIRER.net
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor) has allocated a total of P8.14 million for victims of last week’s massive flooding in the National Capital Region and nearby provinces.
“We have allocated a total budget of P8.14 million for our relief operations. We hope to be able to give help to at least 20,000 families,” Pagcor chairman Cristino Naguiat Jr. said in a statement on Monday.
“There were so many of our countrymen who were badly affected by this recent flooding. Itong aming relief operations ang paraan ng Pagcor para matulungan ang ating mga kababayan na labis na naapektuhan ng kalamidad na ito (Our relief operations is Pagcor’s way of helping our countrymen who were severely affected by this calamity),” Naguiat added.
So far, the state-gaming firm conducted nine relief operations to 10,000 families in several cities and localities gravely affected by the flooding.
It distributed relief packs to 2,000 families in Barangay (village) Baseco, Tondo and 3,000 families in Tumana and Nangka, Marikina City; Sta. Ana, Manila; and Malabon City.
In the provinces, Pagcor conducted relief operations for a total of 5,000 families in Concepcion, Tarlac; Guiguinto, Bulacan; Rosario, Cavite; Taytay, Rizal; and San Isidro, Tanay, Rizal.
The beneficiaries of the relief operation and their city officials were quick to express their gratitude to Pagcor.
Aida Olivo, a 61 year old resident of Barangay Tuktukan in Guiguinto, was among those who benefited from PAGCOR’s relief operations.
“Nasalanta ang bahay namin. Iniwan na lang namin sa bahay ang karamihan ng gamit namin kasi natakot na kami nung tumaas na ng husto ang baha. Matanda na kami ng asawa ko kaya inuna naming isalba ang mga sarili namin. Hindi kami handa kasi ngayon lang kami binaha (Our house was destroyed. We left our house and many of our belongings when the water level rose. My husband is old so we saved ourselves first),” she narrated.
Last week’s flooding that submerged the town of Guiguinto, Bulacan in chest-high waters and displaced 10,000 families was a first in the history of the municipality, councilor Ariel Arcero said.
Rehabilitation efforts are now being initiated by the local government of Guiguinto but since such efforts will take time, Arcero said, the immediate priority is to provide the residents with clothing, food, water and shelter.
Pagcor also conducted relief operations in Concepcion, Tarlac where 25 out of 45 barangays submerged with floodwaters when the Loong River overflowed due to the incessant rainfall last week.
“Napakalaking tulong po ng relief operations na ito ng Pagcor dahil napakarami pong residente dito sa aming bayan na labis na naapektuhan ng pagbaha. Ang Pagcor po ang unang ahensyang dumayo rito sa Concepcion para magbigay ng tulong kaya’t maraming-marami pong salamat (Pagcor’s relief operations is a big help because many residents in our area were severely affected by the flood. Pagcor is the first agency that came to Concepcion to give aid so we are very thankful),” said Purok Mabo Barangay chairwoman Herminia David.