7 killed in Davao flashflood
More News from Inquirer Mindanao
DAVAO CITY — Seven people, most of them children, were killed when a flashflood hit the city Tuesday night.
Village chair Joel Santes of Matina, which was badly hit by the flood, said they fear more people were killed in the flood.
At least 14 others have been reported missing, including three-month-old Mark Louie Palomar.
Vice Mayor Rodrigo Duterte, who went to the affected areas at dawn Wednesday said the affected residents need food, clothing and temporary shelter.
He said the city government might declare a state of calamity.
Affected villages are Matina Pangi, Matina Aplaya and Bangkal– all under the Talomo District.
At least 15,000 families had to be evacuated due to the floods spawned by heavy rains, Lt. Marianette Vinluan of the local Army’s civil-military affairs office said.
Reports reaching Manila quoted police officials in Davao as saying some of the families affected by the flashflood had been returning to their homes Wednesday morning after the waters had subsided around 5 a.m. With reports by Dennis Santos, Inquirer Mindanao, and Karen Boncocan, INQUIRER.net
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps:
Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.
To subscribe to the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper in the Philippines, call +63 2 896-6000 for Metro Manila and Metro Cebu or email your subscription request here.
Factual errors? Contact the Philippine Daily Inquirer's day desk. Believe this article violates journalistic ethics? Contact the Inquirer's Reader's Advocate. Or write The Readers' Advocate:
c/o Philippine Daily Inquirer Chino Roces Avenue corner Yague and Mascardo Streets, Makati City,Metro Manila, Philippines Or fax nos. +63 2 8974793 to 94