No need for Duterte to prove Naga is a ’shabu hotbed’ — Palace
There was no need for President Rodrigo Duterte to show proof to the public that the home province of Vice President Leni Robredo was a breeding ground for crystal meth, Malacañang said on Monday.
Instead, if Naga City officials truly believe that Duterte’s remark was false, the Palace said that they should prove him otherwise.
“He doesn’t have to do that. He already has access to information. He said it. Let it be,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said in a press briefing after he was asked if Duterte will present proof that would back his accusation.
“Kung sa tingin nila mali ang Presidente, hindi hotbed of… shabu ang Naga, patunayan nila. Labanan nila yung mga nagbebenta ng droga sa Naga at patunayan nila hindi talaga hotbed of shabu,” the spokesman stressed.
(If they think the President is wrong, that Naga isn’t a hotbet of shabu, then they should prove it. Fight against the drug dealers in Naga and prove that they aren’t a hotbed of shabu.)
Last week, Duterte accused Naga City of being a den of crystal meth as he criticized Robredo’s leadership skills, claiming that she was not fit to succeed him as President if he steps down from office.
In response, the Naga City council issued a resolution of indignation condemning Duterte’s remark, saying that “accusations like that is an insult against those from Naga. That’s unfair.”
For Roque, the Chief Executive will only apologize if he sees that the information fed to him was wrong.
“If he (Duterte) is wrong, he will apologize. Until he does, he stands by it,” Roque said.
In the past, Duterte had apologized to incumbent and former government officials he had tagged in his drug matrix, admitting that there were “lapses” in creating his narco list. /je
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.