President’s ‘sexism’ blamed for slays
President Rodrigo Duterte should face responsibility for the spate of killings and threats of violence against women activists, saying his “sexist” pronouncements are inciting elements to commit more assaults against women, a militant human rights group said on Tuesday.
Karapatan condemned the “brutal” killing of women activists in Aurora and Agusan del Sur provinces on Sunday, allegedly carried out by members of the military and police.
“While President Duterte rambles on with his sexist and antiwomen rhetoric, poor women leaders are being killed in communities, while others face constant threats to their lives,” it said.
Antimining activist Beverly Geronimo, 27, was shot dead by two men while driving home with her 8-year-old daughter and two other relatives around noon on Sunday at Salvacion village in Trento town, Agusan del Sur.
Geronimo had been getting threats and harassment from Army soldiers since her group waged a campaign opposing the operations of large-scale mining companies in the province, Karapatan said.
Also on Sunday, Carolina Lana, 62, a former leader of Samahan ng mga Magbubukid na Kababaihan sa Aurora, was shot dead by two unidentified motorcycle-riding men, who posed as customers at her store in Dianawan village at Maria Aurora town in Aurora.
Karapatan also claimed that 13 residents, including leaders of an urban poor organization, in Barangay Catmon, Malabon City, were fired upon by suspected goons working for a local politician.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.