Palace defends '60-40' sharing deal with China | Inquirer News

Palace defends ’60-40′ sharing deal with China

By: - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ
/ 05:12 PM April 30, 2018

The offer of President Rodrigo Duterte for a “60-40” sharing deal with China on the joint exploration of the West Philippine Sea is not unconstitutional, Malacanang said on Monday.

Citing a 2004 Supreme Court ruling in the La Bugal vs. Ramos case, which stated that the state could secure the help of foreign companies to explore the country’s mineral resources for as long as it retains full control, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the government is allowed to pursue such an agreement.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Yun nga ang pagkakamali ng mga (That is the mistake of) self-professed and proclaimed experts, basahin ninyo (read the ) La Bugal vs. Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Allowed na po yan (It is allowed),” Roque said.

He added that the government is only required to give Congress a copy of the agreement.

FEATURED STORIES

“Ang requirement ng Saligang Batas lang bigyan ninyo kami ng kopya ang… ang Kongreso ‘pag meron na kayong kasunduan na nakasulat (The only requirement of the Constitution is to give us a copy …and Congress  when you already have a written agreement,” he said.

Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio had earlier that the ruling only covered land exploration.

Meanwhile, former solicitor general Florin Hilbay maintained that the proposed deal is unconstitutional.

Hilbay cited Article XII, Section 2 of the Philippine Constitution, which provides that “The exploration, development, and utilization of natural resources shall be under full control and supervision of the State.”

“The decision in Philippines vs. China clearly states that the Philippines don’t share with China any “overlapping entitlements” in the West Philippine Sea – our exclusive economic zone is exclusively ours,” he said.

Hilbay added that such agreement “inevitably leads to a waiver of our victory at The Hague because the sharing implies that China has a right to our waters. Effectively, it recognizes the 9-Dash Line declared illegal under UNCLOS.”

“Only the Congress, not the President, can set the framework for any agreement over our natural resources, and within the bounds of our Constitution,” he said. /ee

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: China, joint exploration of West Philippine Sea, Philippine news updates, Rodrigo Duterte
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.