outbrain
Close  

Bayan Muna slams Palace hesitation on ‘endo’

/ 06:59 PM April 19, 2018

Bayan Muna Representative Carlos Zarate criticized Malacañang for hesitating to sign an Executive Order that would end labor contractualization or ‘endo’ (end of contract), saying that the Palace ‘tricked’ workers from both the private and public sectors into thinking that the practice will end.

“Marapat na lalong magprotesta ang mga manggagawa dahil dito (It is only right for workers to protest about it),” Zarate said, after news broke that President Rodrigo Duterte would no longer sign the EO ending the contractual labor policy.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a previous report, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque claimed that the president will stop ‘endo’ on or before May 1, which is Labor Day.

“The President wants it as soon as possible. We all know that Labor Day is May 1. So, I would think that it will come out on or before May 1,” Roque said.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: Duterte to sign ‘endo’ EO on or before May 1 – Roque

Zarate questioned Malacañang’s intentions, claiming that the government, including offices directly under the cabinet secretaries, have the largest number of contractual employees.

“How can the Duterte administration end ‘endo’ when, according to the Inventory of Government Human Resources, as of July 1, 2016, there are 721,282 contract of service (COS), job orders (JOs), casual, and contractual workers out of the 2,301,191 government employees,” the solon said.

“This figure is more than twice the 282,586 contractual workers in the public sector in 2008. Top agencies in 2016 with the most number of JOs and COS include the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH), Department of Health (DOH), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Agriculture (DA), Department of Transportation (DOTr), and Department of Education (DepEd),” he added.

The left-leaning lawmaker also provided staggering numbers on contractual employees in the public sector.  He claimed that 44 percent of employees at the University of the Philippines (UP), and 36 percent at the University of the Philippines–Philippine General Hospital (UP-PGH) are contractual workers.

At the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), 81 percent are also without regular status, according to Zarate.

Labor groups have also expressed disappointment over the President’s failure to sign the EO that would have ended the practice of offering short-term and unprotected temporary work arrangements to workers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Malacañang, however, admitted earlier this month that it is powerless to enforce a ban on contractual work arrangements as certain amendments to the Labor Code are needed to fully implement it.

Read: Palace powerless to ban ‘endo’ in PH – official

Before he was appointed chief justice, Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra was also quoted as saying in news reports that lawmakers should amend the Labor Code to abolish contractualization, particularly the granting of exemption granted to certain from making contractual work arrangements.
The elimination of contractualization, however, is one of President Rodrigo Duterte’s main campaign promises in the 2016 national elections. /ee

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bayan Muna, Carlos Zarate, detained activist, Labor, Philippine news updates, United States
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.