outbrain
Close  

Duterte may decide on Boracay’s fate this Wednesday – Palace exec

By: - Reporter / @JhoannaBINQ
/ 03:00 PM April 03, 2018

President Rodrigo Duterte might finally decide on the fate of world renowned island-resort Boracay during the next Cabinet meeting set on Wednesday, a senior Palace official said.

Senior Deputy Exec. Sec. Menardo Guevarra said on Tuesday that the inter-agency panel composed of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), and Department of Tourism (DOT), had already submitted a detailed memorandum recommending the six-month closure of Boracay starting April 26.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Yes, submitted na. May Cabinet meeting bukas, baka ma-take up doon ang final action on Boracay,” Guevarra said in a text message to reporters.

(Yes, it has been submitted. The final action on Boracay may be taken up in the Cabinet meeting tomorrow.)

FEATURED STORIES

Guevarra said on Monday that Malacañang had asked the inter-agency panel to give more details in its recommendation to close down Boracay. The panel initially submitted a “two-paragraph letter of recommendation” to the Palace for Mr. Duterte’s consideration.

According to Guevarra, what the panel gave Malacañang was a “short letter with [a] very short content.”

“The Office of the President through the Executive Secretary’s office have requested the three agencies to submit a more detailed memo on the justification or [if] there is any qualification at all to their recommendation,” Guevarra said.

“I think (the) two-paragraph letter of recommendation… it would appear to be a total ban as recommended. That’s why we are asking for, you know, some qualifications if there are any,” he also said.

READ: Palace asks agencies to submit ‘more detailed memo’ on Boracay shut down

Earlier, Duterte ordered the three agencies to spearhead the clean-up and rehabilitation of the country’s top tourist destination, which he even branded as a “cesspool” for its poor sewage system and environmental problems.

He even warned the courts not to interfere with the planned clean-up of Boracay by issuing a temporary restraining order (TRO).                  /kga

ADVERTISEMENT

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Boracay, clean-up, environment, President Rodrigo Duterte, Rehabilitation
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.