Miascor also losing Cebu airport; 600 workers hit
CEBU CITY — At least 600 employees of aviation service provider, Miascor, would have to look for other jobs soon.
The private operator of Mactan Cebu International Airport (MCIA) would end the Miascor contract starting in May.
Miascor had been given until midnight of May 24 to vacate all spaces it occupies at the MCIA, after GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corp. (GMCAC) canceled the award of a new contract to Miascor.
Miascor appealed to GMCAC to honor the award, as the company had complied with all requirements, including the purchase of at least P400-million worth of equipment.
GMCAC said in a statement, however, that there was nothing to honor as there was no contract yet, only a letter of intent to award the contract.
GMCAC said it decided to cancel the award of the contract to Miascor on two grounds.
One was the Feb. 15 directive sent to GMCAC by MCIA authority, prohibiting the award of ground handling contracts to Miascor, following a baggage pilferage case involving Miascor workers at the Clark International Airport.
The pilferage case reached President Duterte, who, in a fit of rage, ordered the cancellation of the Miascor contract.
According to GMCAC, Miascor also failed to disclose 18 of the 26 cases of pilferage involving its workers at Ninoy Aquino International Airport (Naia), which GMCAC said was “material information critical in assessing Miascor’s capacity.”
Appeal to Duterte
Miascor said it had sent a letter of appeal to Mr. Duterte, asking him to reconsider his decision to cancel all of Miascor’s contracts in five airports in the country.
Aside from Naia, Clark and Cebu, which was Miascor’s second biggest operation area, Miascor was also doing ground handling services for airports in Kalibo and Davao.
“The punishment is not commensurate to the infraction,” said Gemma Sadiua, Miascor Ground Handling Corp. president.
Miascor currently has around 4,000 employees in five airports. Of these, 600 were at the MCIA.
GMCAC had also informed all airlines operating at the MCIA to start looking for other ground handling service provider in preparation for the exit of Miascor.
Sadiua said, though, that when the deadline arrives and the company failed to get a reprieve, Miascor would peacefully vacate and cease operations at MCIA.
“As to the employees, it is also a question mark for us,” said Sadiua.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.