Junjun Binay appeals denial of motion to quash
Former Makati City Mayor Jejomar Erwin “Junjun” Binay Jr. has appealed the Sandiganbayan’s Feb. 22 resolution paving the way for his trial and denying his motion to quash his case in connection with the Makati City Hall Building II.
In an 11-page motion received on March 5, Binay said there was “no basis” for the court’s Third Division to rule that his alleged offenses had been sufficiently stated in the charge sheets filed by Ombudsman prosecutors.
Binay maintained that he could not have “acted with manifest partiality, evident bad faith or gross inexcusable negligence” as he was accused of having “merely approved the release” of P11.011 million to MANA Architecture and Interior Design Co., based on the obligation requests signed by subordinates.
He also argued there was “no allegation specific to the herein Movant [Binay]” in the graft case involving the P599.396-million contract for Phase III of the building’s construction awarded to Hilmarc’s Construction Corp.
Binay also argued that nothing in the charges referred to him as having custody of the allegedly misused public funds.
In denying his motion to quash earlier, the Sandiganbayan in its Feb. 22 resolution said these arguments were better threshed out in a full-blown trial.
The cases concerned contracts which were awarded during the mayoralty of his predecessor and father, former Vice-President Jejomar Binay Sr. Upon his election as the elder Binay’s successor, Binay Jr. still processed the payments to the contractors amid alleged irregularities.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.