Close  

Fire destroys 23 houses in Basilan

/ 04:09 PM May 27, 2011

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—Fire caused by an unattended stove razed 23 houses in Lamitan, Basilan, Thursday night and displaced some 50 families, authorities said.

Lamitan City Mayor Roderick Furigay said the fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m. in Sitio Calle Gata in Lamitan’s Malinis district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Damage was estimated at P400,000, he said.

The Lamitan fire department attributed the fire to an unattended stove inside the house of one Junie dela Cruz.

FEATURED STORIES

Fireman Antonio Paculdo said an elderly woman suffered minor burns.

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Accidents, Basilan, Fire, Lamitan
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.