Fire destroys 23 houses in Basilan
ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines—Fire caused by an unattended stove razed 23 houses in Lamitan, Basilan, Thursday night and displaced some 50 families, authorities said.
Lamitan City Mayor Roderick Furigay said the fire broke out shortly before 7 p.m. in Sitio Calle Gata in Lamitan’s Malinis district.
Damage was estimated at P400,000, he said.
The Lamitan fire department attributed the fire to an unattended stove inside the house of one Junie dela Cruz.
Fireman Antonio Paculdo said an elderly woman suffered minor burns.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.