outbrain
Close  

Comelec Chair Brillantes: ‘Case against Gloria Arroyo not done in haste’

By: - Reporter / @mj_uyINQ
/ 02:18 AM November 19, 2011

Speaking with reporters, Comelec Chair Sixto Brillantes Jr. was quick to deny that the Comelec had railroaded the case against former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

“It was not done in haste,” he said before leaving to attend a budget hearing in Congress.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brillantes said the full Commission on Elections (Comelec) had been studying the joint panel’s resolution since Wednesday “after lunch” but had no time for deliberations on that day because it was then holding a summit.

It also could not meet for deliberations on Thursday because of the budget hearing ongoing in Congress, he said, adding: “[Friday] morning was our only chance to deliberate.”

FEATURED STORIES

Commissioner Rene Sarmiento said he had carefully studied the joint panel’s resolution, over which the Comelec had the final say, for two days.

An Arroyo appointee, Sarmiento said his decision favoring the filing of charges against the former President was solely based on the evidence gathered by the fact-finding panel and affidavits submitted by witnesses.

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Comelec Chair Sixto Brillantes Jr., electoral sabotage, Former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.