Firecracker-related injuries reach 406
Forty-four more firecracker-related injuries were reported to the Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday, bringing to 406 the total number of cases nationwide from Dec. 21 to Jan. 3.
According to the DOH Epidemiology Bureau, the total number of cases is still 53 percent, or 451 cases, lower than the five-year average, and 34 percent, or 210 cases lower than the same period last year.
Many injuries were caused by lighting unused or unexploded firecrackers following the New Year revelry, the DOH said.
The new cases were due to late consultations, or unused firecrackers lighted after the festivities.
Metro Manila had the most number of fireworks-related injuries with 219, with Manila accounting for 103.
More than half, or 56 percent, of the injuries were caused by illegal fireworks, including “piccolo” which
accounted for 136 cases, the DOH said. —Tina G. Santos
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.