Firecracker injuries down 40% – PNP, DOH
Firecracker-related injuries have decreased by 40 percent compared to last year’s holiday season, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Health (DOH) said.
PNP spokesperson Chief Supt. Dionardo Carlos, in a statement, said that from December 21 to December 29, 2017, a total of 72 firecracker-related injuries were reported, which is 40 percent or 48 cases lower than those recorded in 2016.
This was also 59 percent or 104 cases lower than the five-year average from 2012 to 2016.
The PNP and the health department also did not monitor any cases of firecrackers ingestion and stray bullet injuries ahead of the New Year’s eve celebration.
Meanwhile, the PNP said 14 people were arrested selling illegal firecrackers while P14,230 worth of illegal firecrackers were confiscated since the PNP started its Oplan Ligtas Paskuhan last Dec. 16.
“The early campaign, operations and surprise inspections of the PNP on different fireworks selling establishments helped a lot to reduce the firecrackers and stray bullet incidents,” Carlos said.
The PNP also encouraged the public to post or upload videos and pictures in social media of people using firearms to celebrate the New Year or report them to the nearest police station for immediate action and investigation.
Nine persons have been arrested for illegal discharge of firearms, including two cops, a security guard, a government official and five civilians.
The PNP has yet to identify the arrested individuals. /cbb
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.