Tuesday, December 12, 2017
Close  
newsinfo / Nation
  • 102
    shares

DOH: Child had severe dengue despite Dengvaxia shots

/ 12:06 PM December 07, 2017

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III INQUIRER FILE PHOTO

The Department of Health is looking into the case of a 12-year-old who suffered severe dengue despite getting the controversial Dengvaxia vaccine.

Citing a report he received from a hospital in Pampanga, DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III told Radyo Inquirer Thursday that the child received the vaccine three times: in March 2016, October 2016, and August 2017.

“Sinasabi ng Sanofi magbibigay ng proteksyon itong vaccine for more or less 30 months kaso nakita natin ito mga 20 months lang,” he said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last week, the government suspended its dengue immunization program for school children after Sanofi Pasteur, a French pharmaceutical company, warned that the vaccination increases the risk of severe dengue in individuals who have not previously contracted dengue.

“Nabigyan siya ng proteksyon pero nung nakagat nagkaroon ng symptoms ng dengue. Sabi nila severe dengue with hypertension bradycardia,” Duque said.

The child, who was confined at JB Lingad Hospital in Pampanga, has since recovered and officials are looking into the child’s medical record.

Duque refused to reveal the identity of the child for privacy.

The government spent P3.5 billion for the vaccination program, with about 700,000 school children immunized with the initial dose since last year. /cbb

RELATED STORY

VACC urges probe on alleged Dengvaxia-related deaths

ADVERTISEMENT

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: dengue, Dengvaxia, DoH, Francisco Duque III, JB Lingad Hospital, news, Pampanga, Sanofi Pasteur, severe dengue
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.




© Copyright 1997-2016 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved