Close  
FOCUSED MILITARY OPS

Nolcom watches NPA attack sites

/ 06:00 AM December 01, 2017

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO—The chief of the military’s Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom) said government forces and resources had been concentrated in areas where communist rebels had intensified attacks before President Duterte canceled the peace talks last week.

In a statement on Tuesday, Nolcom commander, Lt. Gen. Emmanuel Salamat, said “focused military operations” were being undertaken against the New People’s Army (NPA).

ADVERTISEMENT

“Our intent is to concentrate our attention in areas where we have identified these criminal groups have been operating,” Salamat said.

On Monday night, Army soldiers clashed with suspected communist rebels in Sallapadan town in Abra province. Pfc. Jeffrey Siron of the Army’s 24th Infantry Battalion was hit in the leg and was treated at a local hospital.

FEATURED STORIES

The NPA has yet to react to a report from the overseas security and intelligence firm, Pacific Strategies and Assessment, about a rise since January of rebel attacks in Batangas province and Cordillera, Cagayan Valley and Ilocos regions.

Salamat said Nolcom would carry out a “more proactive campaign” against the NPA to counter rebel activities such as coercion and extortion on business owners. —TONETTE OREJAS WITH A REPORT FROM KIMBERLIE QUITASOL

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: communist rebels, Northern Luzon Command (Nolcom), NPA, Peace Talks
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.