Double recipients found in Kadamay housing list
The National Housing Authority (NHA) said at least 71 members of the Kalipunan ng Damayang Mahihirap (Kadamay) currently occupying houses in Bulacan originally meant for policemen and soldiers, had been previously awarded units by the government.
In a press conference in Quezon City on Monday, Elsie Trinidad, NHA spokesperson, said the 71 recipients, who received housing units in other areas, were part of 8,494 Kadamay members temporarily staying in Pandi town without authority from the NHA.
Of the seven housing projects funded under the General Appropriations Act of 2002, five are intended for personnel of the Philippine National Police, Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, Bureau of Fire Protection, and the Armed Forces of the Philippines. The two remaining projects are meant for informal settlers living in dangerous areas.
But Trinidad said some soldiers and policemen informed the NHA that they would give up their rights to these housing units in exchange for better, larger houses that would be provided by the government, Trinidad said.
“There is a possibility that they sold it (housing unit previously awarded). We cannot second guess the real reason, but it could be that they abandoned the awarded unit, transferred and squatted elsewhere,” she said.
Under Republic Act No. 7279 (Urban Development and Housing Act of 1992), a family is entitled to receive a government housing unit only once.
By leaving, selling or transferring their government-awarded prop erty, the 71 Kadamay members in Bulacan could be disqualified from their applications for housing units, Trinidad said.
After Kadamay members occupied idle government housing projects in Bulacan in March, Mr. Duterte eventually announced that he would grant them the units through a process that would be overseen by the NHA.
“Ang tingin nila, occupant na sila (They think that they are legitimate occupants already).” But we have to screen and check their eligibility first. We are seeking legal cover. We will fairly screen all applicants. The (Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council) Chair [Leoncio] Evasco Jr. h a s to qualify the directive of the President that we consider awarding the units to them (only) if they pass the eligibility screening,” Trinidad added.
“President Duterte announced that the housing units should soon be redistributed but we were still waiting for a legal cover … They would go through a process. At the NHA, there were still around 60,000 waiting and falling in line, like the Kadamay members. None of the 60,000 had been awarded units yet,” she said.
Trinidad said a resolution from the House of Representatives for the redistribution of the housing units to the settlers had been sent to the Senate.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.