Flashfloods hit ‘Chedeng’-affected provinces—NDRRMC
MANILA, Philippines – Flashfloods were reported in provinces affected by Typhoon “Chedeng” (international codename: Songda) as it gained strength and picked up speed moving towards northeast Luzon, the state-run disaster bureau said Thursday.
Eight houses were partially damaged after floodwaters ravaged the sub-villages of Valderrama and Imbatog in the villages of Cabuluhan and Capinonan, both in Cabanglasan, Bukidnon province after Bunawan River overflowed due to continuous heavy rains. A total of 20 families or 100 persons were affected and an undetermined number of hectares of corn and vegetable plantations were also washed out, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said.
In the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao, flashfloods also destroyed a steel bridge and damaged five houses near the river bank in Barangay (village) Delausan, Ditsaan Ramain, Lanao del Sur, the NDRRMC said.
Meanwhile, several hectares or rice fields and an undetermined number of houses were damaged in flooding incidents in the villages of Pagalungan, Rantian, Polo, Bago-Ingud and Buaya-an, Lanao del Sur, the NDRRMC said.
Likewise, floods were reported in the villages of Bulalo, Salimbao, Limco, Calsada, Senditan and Mutaog – all in Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao. But floodwaters have subsided as of posting time, the NDRRMC said.
In Region 5, a total of 13,322 families or 63,964 persons have been evacuated from 153 villages in Albay as of Wednesday afternoon.
However, this is but a fraction of the 49,893 families or 250,42 persons targeted for evacuation in 497 villages which are at high risk for possible landslides, flash floods, lahar flows or storm surges in the province of Albay.
Also in Albay, a total of 3,350 passengers were stranded in the 16 ports in Albay, Sorsogon, Catanduanes, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur while in Region 8, 3,490 passengers and 195 vehicles were also marooned in Allen, Northern Samar and Cebu.
In the four ports of Batangas, a total of 764 passengers are also stranded, the NDRRMC reported.
Meanwhile, the NDRRMC and related government agencies are on high alert and are ready for any eventuality in accordance with the “zero-casualty” order given by President Benigno Aquino earlier this week.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development has prepositioned P3.50 million standby funds and P25.38 million worth of relief supplies in provinces expected to be affected by Chedeng.
The Department of Public Works and Highways has also deployed heavy equipment like trucks, payloaders, bulldozers and backhoes in Region 5 and the Cordillera Administrative Region and have activated their Disaster Quick Response teams.
The Philippine Coast Guard has also declared Full Alert with assets and equipment of PCG auxiliary units on standby for immediate deployment.
Click here for more weather related news.
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.