Resigned BuCor chief refuses to stay awhile
Resigned Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) Director Benjamin delos Santos on Friday said he will not heed the call of Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II for him to stay on pending action on his resignation.
“In the interest of service and in order not to hamper the operation of the BuCor, you are hereby directed to continue functioning as Director General of the BuCor, pending appropriate action on your resignation by the President,” Aguirre said in a memorandum issued Friday addressed to Delos Santos.
But Delos Santos, in a text message, said Aguirre can appoint an officer-in-charge (OIC) or an undersecretary to ensure the continuity of the BuCor operation.
Last year, Deputy Director for Operations Chief Superintendent Rolando Asuncion was appointed OIC after the retirement of BuCor chief Reinier Cruz. He was OIC for five months until Delos Santos took over in November 2016.
Asuncion, however, resigned after Aguirre asked him to go on leave and ordered an investigation following an accusation from an inmate that he received a vehicle from a high-profile prisoner involved in drugs.
He denied the allegation and welcomed the investigation saying he would rather quit his post than be accused of corruption. JPV
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.