Close  

Aguirre wants ex-AFP chief to head BuCor again

/ 09:21 AM July 14, 2017
dionisio santiago

Dangerous Drugs Board Chief Dionisio Santiago. EDWIN BACASMAS

Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II on Friday said he would recommend Dangerous Drugs Board (DDB) chief retired general Dionisio Santiago to replace Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) chief Benjamin Delos Santos.

Santiago, a former Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), served as BuCor head in 2003.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ: Former AFP chief Santiago now heads Dangerous Drugs Boards

Aguirre made the announcement after Delos Santos submitted his irrevocable resignation Thursday saying the resurgence of illegal drug trade inside the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) has made him feel that he is no longer relevant.

FEATURED STORIES

His resignation is effective immediately.

READ: Bilibid drug trade prompts BuCor chief to resign

Delos Santos, who is also a lawyer agreed to return to the government last year to head BuCor, which was hounded by controversy due to the alleged rampant drug trade at the NBP.

Aguirre said the resignation will be submitted to the President, the appointing authority for proper action.

“We thank Gen. De Los Santos for once again serving in the government and we wish him well in all of his future endeavors,” Aguirre said in a statement. IDL

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Benjamin Delos Santos, Bureau of Corrections, Dangerous Drugs Board, Vitaliano Aguirre, Vitaliano Aguirre II
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.