Ombudsman urged to act on plunder case vs reclamation execs on 1988 deal | Inquirer News

Ombudsman urged to act on plunder case vs reclamation execs on 1988 deal

/ 10:15 PM July 09, 2017
Office of the Ombudsman

Office of the Ombudsman

MANILA — A civil society group has pressed the Office of the Ombudsman to soon resolve the plunder and graft complaint it filed more than two years ago against former officials of the Public Estates Authority, now called the Philippine Reclamation Authority.

In a 14-page motion, the United Filipino Consumers and Commuters Inc., through its lead convener Rodolfo Javellana Jr., urged the Ombudsman to resolve its complaint dated Dec. 15, 2014, especially as the legal issues involved were “quite simple and uncomplicated.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“It is not amiss to point out that this case has long been pending resolution… roughly about two and half years from the time it was filed,” Javellana said in his motion for early resolution. “This Honorable Office must therefore now resolve this case with dispatch.”

The case arose from the then-Public Estates Authority’s Aug. 23, 1988 sale of 410,467 square meters of reclaimed land to Manila Bay Development Corp. for P427.037 million.

FEATURED STORIES

Through the supplemental motion, UFCC said the deal violated Article XII, Section 3 of the 1987 Constitution, which has prohibited private corporations from holding alienable lands of public domain except through lease.

It argued that there was no formal declaration by the government that the reclaimed land was alienable or disposable, making the sale unconstitutional and illegal.

The 2014 complaint previously accused the PEA and MBDC officials of conspiring to shortchange the government in the sale of the still-undeveloped land now allegedly valued at P41 billion.

Respondents include then-incumbent PRA chairman Roberto Muldong, general manager Peter Anthony Abaya, and board members Virgilio Ambion, Manuel Medina, Edilberto de Jesus, Reynaldo Robles and Rene Enrique Silos, as well as PEA’s 1988 general manager Eduardo Zialcita and the unnamed chairman and board members at the time.

Private individuals including MBDC president George Chua and its board members were also named respondents.  SFM

Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: conspiracy to shortchange the government in the sale of the still-undeveloped land, Crime, criminal complaint, follow-up on case, former government officials, George Chua, Graft, Justice, law, Manila Bay Development Corp., motion to resolve criminal complaints, Office of the Ombudsman, Philippine Reclamation Authority, Plunder, preliminary investigation, prohibition on private corporations from holding alienable lands of public domain except through lease, Public Estates Authority, Rodolfo Javellana Jr., sale of reclaimed land, supplemental motion, United Filipino Consumers and Commuters Inc.
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

News that matters



© Copyright 1997-2022 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.