Close  

Mega Harbour agrees to new terms for Davao City reclamation

By: - Bureau Chief / @inqmindanao
/ 03:36 PM April 10, 2017
Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte Carpio (INQUIRER FILE PHOTO)

Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte Carpio (INQUIRER FILE PHOTO)

DAVAO CITY – If she can have it her way, Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio would not want the multi-billion-peso harbor project to push through.

A known ocean lover that she even nicknamed her children Sharky, Stingray and Stonefish, the mayor said she did not want the reclamation project as it could destroy the sea.

ADVERTISEMENT

“But I am willing to set aside my personal conviction for the general welfare and for the development of the city,” she told reporters last week.

The project will be implemented by the Mega Harbour Port and Development Incorporated.

FEATURED STORIES

Mega Harbour and Duterte earlier agreed to amend the Joint Venture Agreement (JVA), which her father, Rodrigo Duterte, the former Davao City mayor and now the President, signed in 2016, when he was still mayor.

The younger Duterte had introduced amendments to the JVA particularly on the sharing issue, in which, she wanted Mega Harbour to increase the share of the city in the reclaimed land, aside from shouldering the rehabilitation works of access roads, coastal barangays and the areas of affected residents. Her amendment would cost the company at least P1.87 billion more.

Mega Harbour, in a letter to Mayor Duterte, said it agreed to her suggested terms and from the original 5.9 hectares of land share, the city would have eight hectares. Mega Harbour also agreed to foot the bill for the rehabilitation of access roads, coastal barangays and areas within the project site from Barangay Bucana to Sta. Ana in Agdao district – where about 3,500 families reside.

In her response to Mega Harbour on February 21, Mayor Duterte also asked the company to furnish her significant documents about the project, including the environment impact assessment and relocation plan.

Under the original agreement, none of the area’s estimated 3,500 families would be displaced. However, the younger Duterte decided to briefly put the project on hold pending review.

Mega Harbour is owned by businessman Reghis Romero II.  SFM/rga

ADVERTISEMENT
Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Business, Davao City, Davao City reclamation joint venture agreement, Davao City reclamation project, environment, Environmental Protection, joint venture agreement, land development, Local authorities, Local Governments, Local officials, mayor, Mega Harbour Port and Development Incorporated, Mega Harbour reclamation project, Philippine president, Property, real estate, real estate development, Reclamation, reclamation project, Rodrigo Duterte, Sara Duterte, Sara Duterte-Carpio
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.