Close  

Army denies link to killing of 3 ComVal farmers

Eastern Mindanao Command: We're here to protect civilians
/ 11:50 AM March 28, 2017
SOLDIERS enforce tight security measures at the Iligan City port following a series of bombings in Cagayan de Oro, Cotabato City and other parts of Mindanao. RICHEL V. UMEL/INQUIRER MINDANAO Read more: http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/465047/army-execs-rebel-leaders-on-khilafah-what-is-it#ixzz4caa2XLDV Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Soldiers on patrol in Mindanao (FILE PHOTO BY RICHEL V. UMEL / INQUIRER MINDANAO)

TAGUM CITY, Davao del Norte – The military denied on Tuesday allegations it was behind the killing of three farmers in Laak, Compostela Valley, even as it dared its accusers to file charges.

Maj. Ezra Balagtey, spokesperson of the military’s Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom), said government troops could not have been behind the murder of farmers Cora Lina (not Molina as earlier reported), and couple Arman and Arlyn Almonicar, as “it is the mandate of the military to protect innocent civilians.”

ADVERTISEMENT

The victims, all members of the militant Nagkahiusang Mag-uuma sa Laak (United Farmers of Laak or Namulak) were gunned down by suspected agents of the Philippine Army’s 60th Infantry Battalion late on Monday, said Jay Apiag, spokesperson of Karapatan Southern Mindanao.

The 45-year-old Lina was shot dead by an unknown assailant at her house in Kibaguio village around 3 p.m., Apiag said.

FEATURED STORIES

Some four hours later, the Almonicars were shot dead by unidentified attackers near their home in Purok (Community) 2, Bollukan village, he added.

He said Lina had been receiving threats from the military and had been summoned many times to the 60IB camp.

“She had also been vilified as a sympathizer of the (New People’s Army),” the rights group spokesperson said.

Balagtey lamented that Karapatan conveniently accused the military of the murders “without even providing proof or evidence.”

“It is our duty to protect the people and that killing innocent civilians is a criminal act,” the regional army spokesperson said.

Maj. Michael Candole, 60IB executive officer, said they had no knowledge of the killings.

He said the military could not have done that “because our job is to protect lives and property.”

ADVERTISEMENT

“We even gave medical attention to wounded NPA rebels captured during encounters. Killing civilians is for terrorists and traitors. It could be the handiwork of the rebels themselves,” Candole said.

Apiag said they have documented 16 cases of political killings in Southern Mindanao under the nine-month old Duterte administration.

“And none of these cases was acted upon or investigated,” he said.  SFM/rga

Read Next
LATEST STORIES
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: 60th Infantry Battalion, Activists, Arlyn Almonicar, Arman Almonicar, Compostela Valley, Cora Lina, Cora Molina, Crime, Eastern Mindanao Command, extrajudicial killings, Ezra Balagtey, farmer-activists, Farmers, Jay Apiag, Karapatan, Karapatan-Southern Mindanao, Laak municipality, Michael Candole, Murder, Nagkahiusang Mag-uuma sa Laak, Namulak, Philippine Army, Political killings, Shooting, United Farmers of Laak
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.
lifestyle

French New Wave icon Anna Karina dies at 79

December 15, 2019 10:42 PM

sports

Pogoy plays through pain, helps TNT get crucial win

December 15, 2019 10:06 PM

newsinfo

New Zealand eruption death toll rises to 18

December 15, 2019 09:33 PM



© Copyright 1997-2019 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.