Hundreds undergo drug tests in Davao Occ after relapse reports
MALITA, Davao Occidental — A massive drug test of drug surrenderers, government workers and officials — including policemen and soldiers — was conducted in this province on Wednesday upon the orders of Gov. Claude Bautista.
Bautista ordered the conduct of drug testing when a number of confessed drug suspects — who were among those who had surrendered starting 2016 — tested positive again for shabu and marijuana recently. The total number of positive drug tests so far was not specified. Marivic Hubac, the provincial executive assistant, only said that five of them tested positive for drug use just last week.
Bautista said he decided to include government officials and employees, soldiers and policemen this time to make sure that none of them used illegal drugs.
At least 200 individuals showed up at the drug testing center of Barangay Poblacion, Malita, Wednesday morning. A similar activity will be held in Barangay Lamidan here later in the day, involving hundreds of people.
Similar drug tests were also conducted in the towns of Sta. Maria, Don Marcelino, Jose Abad Santos and Sarangani by the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and the police’s regional crime laboratory in Southern Mindanao.
Bautista said the province-wide drug test would be repeated within the next six months and that he allocated P3 million for the kits alone.
“I hope that by March, nobody will test positive anymore,” he said. SFM
Subscribe to our daily newsletter
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.