outbrain
Close  

Gov’t rejects Reds’ terms for ceasefire

/ 01:26 AM December 14, 2016

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Tuesday rejected a demand by communist guerrillas for government troops to withdraw from rebel-influenced communities in the countryside in exchange for a month-long ceasefire.

Lorenzana said troops would continue to be deployed in all rural areas where they have to suppress lawlessness, adding that the New People’s Army (NPA) guerrillas cannot claim any part of the country as their territory.

ADVERTISEMENT

“They always say we are encroaching on their area. What areas are they talking about?” Lorenzana said.

“The President says you don’t have any area,” he said, addressing the Maoist guerrillas. “This is the Republic of the Philippines.”

FEATURED STORIES

The Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) warned President Duterte last week that the guerrillas may be forced to end their ceasefire and resume fighting if he does not suspend the government’s counterinsurgency program and withdraw troops from rebel-influenced areas.

If Mr. Duterte fulfills the demands by January and releases political detainees through an amnesty, the CPP said it can guarantee the ceasefire’s extension.

The President has separately declared an indefinite ceasefire, and the truce declarations by both sides have helped foster peace talks brokered by Norway.

Forced to engage

NPA guerrillas, however, will be forced to engage troops if the President presses the military’s deployment of troops in what the rebels claim as “guerrilla zones” in the countryside, the outlawed party said in a statement.

While no fighting has erupted since both sides declared separate ceasefires in August, the Maoist guerrillas have complained that troops continued to be deployed in rebel areas to carry out surveillance and other counterinsurgency operations.

Lorenzana said he favored proposals for separate ceasefires declared by the government and for the rebels to be strengthened into a signed joint truce with mutually agreed terms that could restrict rebel crimes being continuously committed, including extortion.

No more releases

Mr. Duterte has also said he would no longer support the release of more insurgents after he worked to free several rebel leaders.

ADVERTISEMENT

He said he would maintain his position even at the risk of the peace talks being terminated by the guerrillas.

The rebels, he said, has asked him to free 130 detainees.

“I conceded too much too soon,” Mr. Duterte told troops Sunday at a military camp. “I’ll lose my cards. I always release.”

“I said, ‘That’s my limit. Now it’s up to you if you’ll terminate it… I’ve freed all your leaders,”’ he said.

A confidential Philippine government assessment obtained by The Associated Press said the guerrillas declined to 3,800 fighters with more than 4,500 firearms in the first half of the year, with about 700 of the country’s 42,000 villages affected by the insurgency. —AP

Read Next
EDITORS' PICK
MOST READ
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.
View comments

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Communist Party of the Philippines, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana, government troops to withdrawal, New People’s Army, Philippine news updates
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.


© Copyright 1997-2020 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.