Militant group says ‘never again’ to ‘scare tactics’ | Inquirer News
Close  
Ahead of massive anti-Marcos protest

Militant group says ‘never again’ to ‘scare tactics’

/ 11:42 AM November 29, 2016
BLACK FRIDAY PROTEST / NOVEMBER 25, 2016Protesters gather at Quirino grandstand grounds, Manila, November 25, 2016, in protest and condemnation of the burial former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani last November 18.INQUIRER PHOTO / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Protesters gather at Quirino grandstand grounds, Manila, November 25, 2016, in protest and condemnation of the burial former President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani last November 18. INQUIRER PHOTO / NIÑO JESUS ORBETA

Are the recent terror threats being used yet again as a scare tactic against protesters?

A militant alliance called on the Philippine National Police (PNP) not to use bomb scares to threaten people against gathering to protest the sneaky burial of the late dictator Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani.

ADVERTISEMENT

“The PNP must not use recent bomb threats as justification for the suppression of democratic rights and for more repressive measures,” Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan) Secretary General Renato Reyes Jr. said in a statement on Tuesday.

On Monday, an improvised explosive device (IED) was found in a trash bin near the United States Embassy in Manila.

FEATURED STORIES

READ: ‘Attempted act of terror’

PNP chief Director General Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa said the attempted bombing could be attributed to the Maute Group, the terror group responsible for the deadly blast in Davao City last September.

Dela Rosa said the “terror act” could be the group’s “diversionary tactic” while the military is launching offensives against them after they occupied an abandoned town hall in Butig, Lanao del Sur and several other buildings and houses there since last week.

“It is necessary to remind the PNP of this because once upon a time in our history, such threats were used to suppress the people’s protests. Which is why we continue to shout ‘never again’ in the streets,” Reyes said.

“The bomb threat comes just two days before the November 30 rallies. We warn against any attempt to impose restrictive measures or scare tactics on protesters,” he said.

“Like we said, never again. And not this time.”

READ: Bato prays for rain on Edsa protest rally

Bayan supports the workers’ march to Mendiola tomorrow as they assail the anti-worker legacy of the Marcos dictatorship, many of which remain today,” he said.

A massive anti-Marcos protest is expected to happen at the People Power Monument along Edsa White Plains in Quezon City on Wednesday. CDG/rga

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.
Read Next
Don't miss out on the latest news and information.

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Bagong Alyansang Makabayan (Bayan), Ferdinand Marcos, Libingan ng mga Bayani, Maute group, Philippine National Police (PNP), Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the Terms of Use and
acknowledge that I have read the Privacy Policy.



© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.